10 Ways to Save Money This Month
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. At no extra cost to you, I may be compensated for purchases made via these links; thank you for your support of this blog.
Between school starting and the holiday season drawing near, many of us start looking harder at ways to save money in our budgets. In fact, one of the budgeting facebook groups has even adopted the hashtag #$avetember to encourage and inspire its members.
I’m always on the hunt for ideas to squeeze more dollars out of my budget and wanted to share some tips that we use to keep the budget on track. If you’re looking for more ways to save money and grow your savings account, here are my top 10 ideas:
- Save your loose change in a jar and make a deposit at the end of each month.
- Look up your grocery store’s weekly flyer and create your meal plan based on what is on sale; this can be especially significant for sales on meats and produce.
- Plan several meals using the same protein. For example, leftovers from a roast chicken would be used for tacos and soup later in the week.
- Purchase produce that is in-season. If possible, shop at a local farmers market or join a local CSA.
- Freeze or can in-season produce so you don’t have to purchase it at a higher price when out-of-season.
- Learn to make to make your sauces, seasonings, and broths from scratch. We make these at home: tomato/pizza sauce, chicken/veggie broth or stock, taco/chili seasoning, stir-fry sauce, etc.
- Group and map out your errands for one afternoon rather than taking your car out several times throughout the week.
- Make use of your library to check out books, magazines, movies, etc. Check to see if your library allows you to borrow digital or audio books.
- Make use of your library for other community programs. Our library offers classes in crafts such as tie-dye or knitting, has movie nights (or mornings), has regular yoga classes, etc. all for free to its members.
- Get familiar with your city’s parks and museums community events. Our community has weekly free concerts in the summer and field days with games for the kids, hosted by public safety.
When you have to tighten the budget, what do you do to save money? Share with us in the comments or send me an email to let me know.